You guys might remember a previous post where we made some alfredo, which seems like eons ago now. Check it – I was browsing the book of face and came across this recipe.
Although my fiancé does not care for onions, I figured I’d be sneaky and throw em in (and he’d be none the wiser). Well, he came home as I was making it, but even though he knew there were “onions in it” – he still loved it. It just goes to show that if prepared correctly – anyone can like anything!!! 😀 (Even me! haha)
Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo with Kale & Broccoli
Two medium white/yellow potatoes
1/4 white onion
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning (a blend of basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and black pepper)
1 tsp frozen grated lemon juice
2-4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup cashews
1 tsp salt
1/2 – 2/3 package fettuccine pasta (I used gluten-free rice pasta)
1/2 a medium head of broccoli, chopped
1/2 a bunch of dino kale, ripped
1 package meat substitute (I used faux chicken) [optional as always]
Pepper to taste
Nutritional Yeast to top
- Boil four cups of water in a small pot.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small-medium cubes/wedges.
- Chop the 1/4 of an onion.
- When the water is boiling, add the potato and onion, and let boil for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- In another pot, cook the pasta as recommended on the package.
- In a blender, combine the 1/2 cup raw cashews with 1 cup of the water used to boil the veggies. Note: DO NOT DISCARD THE REST OF THE WATER! You’ll see why shortly.
- Next, add the veggies, garlic, salt, lemon juice, and seasonings. Blend until creamy.
- Just a heads up – You will probably want to add more of the boiling water since it stays pretty thick with only one cup of water. I used about 2 cups.
- Add more salt to taste.
- Serve and devour! 😀
Recipe courtesy of Buzzfeed.com