“Oil pulling, also known as “kavala” or “gundusha,” is an ancient Ayurvedic dental technique that involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for around 20 minutes. This action supposedly draws out toxins in your body, primarily to improve oral health but also to improve your overall health.”
Some of the benefits I’ve personally experienced:
- Clearer complexion
- Stronger teeth
- Less tooth sensitivity
- Whiter teeth
- Less mucus (I have asthma and this is common for me)
- Fresher breath
- Reverse of tooth damage/decay (thats right! I said it – my one tooth was giving my trouble and turned slightly grey. After oil pulling for a month, it went back to a normal shade and hasnt given me any trouble since.)
- Overall “healthy” feeling
All you need is some oil and 5-20 minutes of your day. You could do more, but I personally have never pulled for more than 45 minutes – if you plan to go any longer than 20 minutes I recommend you build up the ability to be comfortable with it, and also to do your research on it!
Coconut oil is the best option because it contains lauric acid content, which is known to contain anti-microbial properties (aka good for cleaning the body!) But if not, you can also use sunflower or sesame oil.
- Do spit a little bit out if you feel like you need to swallow (it usually means you have too much).
- Do swish it around and in between your teeth. If your jaw starts to hurt, stop for a while, and then resume slowly and gently when you feel comfortable doing so.
- Do Start with 5 minutes and see how it goes.
- Do start pulling as soon as you wake up, before you brush your teeth.
- Do oil pulling when you can typically get away with not talking for the time (5-20 min) for example: when you’re in the shower/getting dressed, etc.
- Do confirm you aren’t allergic to coconut or coconut oil. Do this by applying a bit of oil on your elbow and just confirm you dont have a reaction to it.
- DONT SWALLOW IT!!!
- DONT spit down the sink or into the toilet. Spit the oil directly into the garbage or however use you typically get rid of oils.
- DONT stop taking care of your teeth otherwise (brussing, flossing, etc.). Think of it as a bonus.
- DONT be afraid to experiment with sunflower or sesame oil if coconut isnt your thing.
Hope you enjoyed and second to last edition of “How to detox every day!” I will be posting 7 total posts in this series! I hope you’ve enjoyed everything thus far and hope to see you again soon! 😀
OH….and by the way….
There may be a feeling that the oil is maybe not…. fresh &/or is/feels dirty/toxic/gross when you’re done and heck, maybe even during… some people may be turned off by this, but better out than in, I always say. 😉
References and other places to read more about oil pulling:
Originally posted November 2/15.