Ah yes – another delicious soup. Growing up, my favorite soup was broccoli + cheese, usually out of a can. I can say with confidence I am a healthier, more fulfilled person since I’ve stopped eating junk and started cooking and eating healthier substitutes for my favorites from the past.
I remixed the recipe only slightly, only because I wanted it to be a bit thicker. I added 2 small potatoes.
This recipe calls for a lot of vegan cheeze (daiya, etc.) Plan ahead friends! 😎
Vegan Broccoli Cheeze Soup
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup onion, diced finely
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 16 ounces broccoli, fresh or frozen, chopped
- 1 quart water or vegetable stock (4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened unflavored soy or almond milk
- 8 ounces vegan cheddar cheese
- 2 small potatoes (optional)
- Black or White Pepper to top
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons vegan butter and sauté onion, garlic and broccoli stems (if using fresh broccoli) and add salt. I also cooked the potatoes with the stems. If using frozen, omit this step and cook all the broccoli together.
- When stems are just cooked through, add water, cheese, milk and yeast, then remove from heat.
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, heat remaining butter, add broccoli flowers, and sauté until bright green. Remove from heat immediately and add broccoli to soup pot.
- Blend using an immersion blender to blend to desired consistency – or transfer to your blender in batches. Add pepper and more salt to taste, and add cornstarch if you want it thicker.
Thanks to foodrepublic.com for the original recipe – get it here!
Pairs well with some veggie fries (pictured here sweet potato fries) + a grilled cheeze. Awe yeah! Life is good!