You’re going to want to roast your red pepper + butternut squash – prior to starting the soup. If you’ve got a prep for the roasted red pepper and butternut squash – then do you. This is how I did it! 🙂 Sorry if it’s a bit long. I tried. ….
What you’ll need to succeed (for the prep)
- Small bowl
- Clean hands
- Tray with sides that go up a bit (I used a glass lasagna-y tray/container)
- Tin foil or small oven tray (I used a small bread sized thing)
- Mixing utensil (whisk, fork, etc.)
Ingredients for Seasoning
- Enough oil to coat your squash + Red Pepper
- Various Spices (I used cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, pepper)
- Garlic (upto you – I used 1 clove).
Instructions – Butternut Squash
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop your butternut squash in half and then chop those halves in half – horizontally.
- Deseed bottom pieces. Stab some…stabs into the squash – not all the way through but all the way to the skin.
- Do about 20-30 “stabs” per piece. If you go all the way through – don’t worry about it.
- Set the squash aside for now.
Grab your tray with the sides that go up and fill up with water until the whole bottom is covered. Set beside you.
- In a small bowl – put in some oil (or vegan butter) with some garlic + spices. (I’ll leave it up to you. I did some cinnamon, cayenne + ginger.)
- Mix it all up and then rub it all over the “inside” of your squash (the yellow part!)
- Now you see why we did the stabs – so that our “seasoning” absorbs into the squash.
- With your oily hands – rub the rest over the whole squash, skin and all!
- Place the squash into the tray with the water.
- Place your squash in the oven for 40 min.
Then grab your red pepper.
- Cut the stem off.
- Cut in half and deseed – hollow it out.
- Slice in half.
- Grab your smaller pan or tin foil for the pepper.
- Pour a bit of more oil on your hands and rub that red pepper down.
- Place skin side down onto the tray/container/bread pan – whatever you’re using.
- Season with pepper.
- Place a bit of tinfoil on top (optional)
- Leave the red pepper in the oven until your squash is done. If the red pepper prep took you five minutes, then leave it in for 35 min – ya digg?
Once everything is done just take everything out and let sit for a few min…
Have your garlic ready for the next step….
This soup is pretty quick when the prep is done.
Roasted Red Pepper + Butternut Squash Soup
What you’ll need to suceed pt.2 – Soup Talk
- A high speed blender – the bigger the better
- 1 red pepper, roasted
- 1 butternut squash, roasted
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth – using 3 makes it as thick as the pics. 😉 The more you add the less thick it will be.
- Blend all ingredients in blender until very smooth. Salt to taste if desired. I used salted broth so I didn’t need to add any.
- Top with black pepper and serve.
Stores well in the fridge and probably the freezer – although I’ve never tried it. I personally don’t mind eating it cold either.
Orginal recipe courtesty of allysonkramer.com
Originally posted November 19/14.